August 13, 2011

My First Triathlon

Today was supposed to be my first triathlon.  I've been wanting to do one for a few years now.  I was going to do one two years ago, but never got around to it for some reason and then last year I was pregnant, so this was going to be the summer.  I chose the Millenium Triathlon because it is the shortest one around (500 yard swim, 15 mile bike, 5k run).

I got up this morning at 5, left the house at 6 and got to Millenium Park at 6:30.  I unloaded my bike in the dark, pouring rain, set it up in transition, got my body marked and then parked the car.  When I made it back to the transition area I heard that the race was postponed for an hour because it was thundering and lightening.  I quick called Jared because he was going to come with the kids soon, but they were already in the car, so they decided to come anyway.



We hung out during the hour delay and then heard that we were to go to the transition area for announcements.  I figured we would hear about how the race would start since the storm had blown over and the sky was clearing up.  When I got there I heard that the race was cancelled.  Their reason was that even though the front had passed they needed a four hour window of good weather and that the meteorologist couldn't ensure that.  Nobody was too surprised since the weather was so bad and it has been cancelled in the past, but there were still many disappointed people.  We headed to our van and promptly got stuck in a huge traffic jam.

So, my first triathlon has not happened yet.  There is no refund, but at least I got a T-shirt, water bottle, and coffee mug.  I'm thinking about doing the Reeds Lake Triathlon in a month so all my training doesn't go to waste.  Maybe I'll wait to sign up until I see the weather forecast...


FatWallet Coupons and Deals

No comments: